As the capital city of Canada, Ottawa is a vibrant and diverse destination that has plenty to offer visitors throughout the year. Even in the colder months, such as March, there are still many exciting activities and attractions to explore. Here are some of the top things to do in Ottawa in March:
1. Winterlude Festival: Winterlude is an annual winter festival that takes place in Ottawa during February and March. The festival features outdoor activities such as ice skating, ice sculpture competitions, and snow slides. There are also indoor activities like art exhibits and live music performances.
2. Visit the Canadian Museum of History: The Canadian Museum of History is located just across the river in Gatineau, Quebec. The museum offers a fascinating look into Canada's past, with exhibits on everything from the country's Aboriginal history to its military heritage.
3. Check out the Ottawa Art Gallery: The Ottawa Art Gallery is a must-see destination for art lovers. The gallery showcases the work of both local and international artists, and features a range of exhibitions that are sure to impress.
4. Explore the Rideau Canal: The Rideau Canal is a UNESCO World Heritage site that stretches from Ottawa to Kingston, Ontario. In March, the canal is transformed into a winter wonderland, with skating rinks and snowshoeing trails. Visitors can also take a guided tour of the canal and learn about its rich history.
5. Visit the National Gallery of Canada: The National Gallery of Canada is home to an impressive collection of Canadian and international art. The gallery features works by some of the most renowned artists in history, including the Group of Seven and Emily Carr.
6. Attend a hockey game: Hockey is Canada's national sport, and Ottawa is home to the Ottawa Senators, a professional hockey team that competes in the National Hockey League. Attending a game is a great way to experience Canadian culture and cheer on the home team.
7. Go shopping at the ByWard Market: The ByWard Market is one of Ottawa's most popular shopping destinations. The market features a wide range of stores and boutiques, as well as restaurants and cafes.
Overall, there is no shortage of things to do in Ottawa in March. From outdoor activities to cultural attractions, this city has something for everyone. Whether you're a local or a visitor, be sure to take advantage of all that Ottawa has to offer this winter season.
As the weather starts to warm up in Ottawa, it’s time to start thinking about getting your garden ready for the summer. But that’s not the only thing to do in the city during the month of April! Here are a few ideas for things to do in Ottawa this month!
Visit the Canadian Museum of Nature If you’re looking for a fun and educational experience, the Canadian Museum of Nature is a great place to visit. The museum is home to a wide variety of exhibits, including displays on dinosaurs, mammals, and marine life. This is a great opportunity to learn more about Canada's natural history while having a fun time with friends and family.
Go for a bike ride As the weather starts to warm up, it's the perfect time to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. Ottawa has some great bike trails that are perfect for a leisurely ride. You can explore the city and take in the beautiful scenery along the Ottawa River or the Rideau Canal. You can rent a bike or bring your own for an adventure.
Visit a farmers market April is a great time to visit a farmers market in Ottawa. You can find fresh produce, baked goods, and handmade crafts at markets like the Lansdowne Farmers Market or the Ottawa Farmers Market. This is a great way to support local farmers and artisans while enjoying a fun day out with family and friends.
Attend the Ottawa International Writers Festival For book lovers, the Ottawa International Writers Festival is a must-visit event. The festival brings together writers from around the world for a series of readings, discussions, and workshops. The festival is held in April and is a great opportunity to meet your favorite authors, discover new writers, and celebrate the written word.
Take a nature walk With the arrival of spring, Ottawa's parks and trails come to life with beautiful blooms and wildlife. This is the perfect time to take a nature walk and explore the natural beauty of the city. You can take a stroll along the Ottawa River or explore the hiking trails at Gatineau Park.
To get your garden up and going, there are a few key steps you should take. First, choose a suitable location with plenty of sunlight and good soil drainage. Next, decide on what you want to grow and select appropriate seeds or plants for your climate and soil type. Prepare the soil by adding compost or other organic matter to improve its fertility. Then, plant your seeds or seedlings according to their specific requirements for depth and spacing. Water your garden regularly, being careful not to overwater or underwater. Finally, keep an eye out for pests and diseases and take appropriate measures to prevent or control them. With a little effort and attention, you can enjoy a bountiful and beautiful garden.
In conclusion, April in Ottawa offers many exciting activities for visitors and locals alike. Whether you're getting your garden ready for the summer, exploring the city by bike, or attending a literary festival, there's something for everyone to enjoy. So why not plan a visit to the capital city this April and experience all that it has to offer?